Peterborough Humane Society advocates for the welfare of animals by improving their lives, alleviating suffering, rescuing, providing shelter, healing, facilitating adoption and reducing pet overpopulation. We are the largest animal shelter in Peterborough County and the only open admission shelter.
Being open admission means that we must take in all stray or surrendered companion animals. All animals surrendered to PHS receive the necessary vet care, vaccinations and are spayed/neutered prior to being adopted out to amazing forever homes. We don’t receive any government funding, or funding from any welfare group for this work, and therefore rely on donations from the community.
Peterborough Humane Society was established in 1941, and the current shelter at 385 Lansdowne Street East, was built in 1956 and designed initially as a pound. While the current site has served the community well for the last 60+ years, we have outgrown the space as we are caring for more pets than ever before – around 1,600 pets come through our doors annually.
We often partner with other animal welfare agencies, such as Humane International, the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society and other humane societies in the transfer of pets from communities that need assistance in caring for their pets, and rehoming them to loving homes here in Peterborough and the Kawarthas.
Promoting responsible pet ownership is central to what we do, and we partner with other community role-players and educational institutions to provide education in this regard. We encourage our community to visit the shelter, we are always willing to do a quick shelter tour, or share more information on what we do on a day-to-day basis.
Working in cooperation with many agencies and departments we continue to promote responsible pet ownership concepts through community outreach. We often partner with other animal welfare organizations in the transfer of animals from communities that need assistance in caring for their pets.