Dog Licensing – City of Peterborough, Township of Selwyn, Douro/Dummer & Trent Lakes
Being a dog owner requires all sorts of responsibility. One that is often overlooked is registering your dog with your city government and getting him licensed. Failing to license your dog can hinder your chances of getting him back if picked up by the pound and can get you in trouble with the law.
If the above isn’t reason enough for you to properly register your dog, here are a few more reasons why you should:
- It’s the law. In most cities, it’s mandatory that dog owners have their pets licensed. If you get caught without a license, which can and does happen, you will be hit with a hefty fine. Dogs must have a renewed license each year, which must be displayed on them at all times.
- If your dog goes missing, having him licensed drastically improves your chances of getting him back. A license tag helps animal control and shelters quickly identify your dog and get him back to you safely. If your dog is found wandering the streets, a rescue organization can easily look up your dog via its license identifying number.
- The cost of the license is far less than the penalty for being caught without one. If a city official finds your dog without a license, you can end up paying a fee of up to $125 in the City of Peterborough!
(Peterborough Humane Society Dog License Clerk will be coming door to door throughout the year — individuals without licenses will have the opportunity to purchase one right away. These visits will be followed up by Animal Control and a fine of $125 may be issued if a license is not purchased.)
- License fees support the efforts of many local animal shelters. Typically, the annual fee that you pay to license your dog helps to keep shelters running and supports the work of your local animal control. By paying to properly ID your dog, you are helping to feed and house stray dogs found on the streets within your city.
- *New Bonus* when purchasing your dog license you will receive a Special Rewards Card and Coupon Sheet for savings at participating Peterborough businesses.
Cost of licenses in the City of Peterborough
* February 1st 2015 there will be a $5.00 late fee applied per dog. *With every transaction on line there will be a PayPal $1.50 charge.
|LICENSE FEE||NON-SENIOR||SENIOR (65+)||NON-SENIOR||SENIOR (65+)|
|If renewed by January 31st||$25||$15||$50||$35|
|If renewed between February
1st and May 31st
|If renewed between June 1st
and December 31st
|New dogs obtained after
|Replacement of a lost tag||$10||$10||$10||$10|
|Certified/Service Dogs||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge|
Selwyn & Douro Drummer Dog Licenses
Prior to March 31st licenses are $15 after March 31st licenses are $20, one tag is issued for the lifetime of the dog.
Municipality of Trent Lakes Dog Licenses
Licenses rate from January – April 1st is $12.00 and April 2 – December 31 is $20.00
Dog Licensing Exceptions
- Service dogs and dogs trained to be guide or signal dogs are usually free to license
- Breeders or owners of many dogs must apply for a “kennel license” that will apply to all of their dogs within a certain volume
Where to get your dog licensed
Licenses can be purchased at the Peterborough Humane Society or on line at www.peterboroughhumanesociety.ca. If you live outside of Peterborough in the Townships – licenses can also be purchased from your township office.